Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Stats...

1st undergrad (History B.S.) gpa: 2.74
Post-Bachelor’s in Communicative Disorders at Utah State University Online: 3.94
GRE Scores: V - 157
                    Q - 144
Writing Score - 3.5
Oh, and the above GRE scores are from the 2nd time I took them.
Yes, my first gpa was crap.  Eh, my GRE scores were average.  I applied to 3 schools and received rejections from two, an acceptance to one.  All it takes is one.
I still got into grad school for SLP even though my stats weren’t that great.  I really believe what saved me was my post-bacc at USU and my overseas travel/teaching experience.  I definitely recommend going through a post-bacc program like Utah State University’s online program to make your application more solid.  If I can make it into grad school with stats like above, then no one should give up if this is truly your passion.  

It can be done!  :) 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, love reading your blog. We have many similarities!!! I am also in my 30s and applying to grad school for slp. My stats are similar to yours and I also applied to 3 schools, I am praying that I just get into one.

    Good luck in grad school!!

    --Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your site is wonderful! Thank you so much for writing the articles, researching, and sharing your experiences. This has been very helpful. I reapplied for the 3rd time this year. I was thankful I made it to the waiting lists. I wish that I hadn't chosen more than two or three schools those previous years. Now that all the spots are filled, I have to pick myself up and try again.

    I appreciate the advice of not giving up. I am determined to be positive about it. I know this is what I want to do. I didn't notice as many blogs, facebook pages, etc. when I got out of school. Reading web sites like this gives me hope and so much useful information to help improve my chances of getting in. I'm glad to know that there are supportive people out there. Best wishes with your studies and future work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've made it on to waitlists, so that is definitely a good sign! Definitely check out some schools that have spring admissions, there is still time to apply to some of those. I'm glad my blog has helped to give you hope... I wish you luck and I hope your "yes" is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete