Monday, October 15, 2012

Holy crap, I'm in grad school!!

I had a moment today while studying for my artic/phono impairments mid-term in the library... it suddenly hit me that I was actually in grad school.  I am in grad school, working towards my Master's degree in SLP... how the heck did that happen?!!

If you had asked me a couple of years ago if I would ever go for a master's degree in something... anything... I would have looked at you like you were crazy.  I had a degree and it allowed me to join the Peace Corps as well as teach English in South Korea.  For a long time I didn't want to go back to school... and to be honest, for a long time I felt that there was no way I could even get into grad school with my dismal 1st undergrad gpa.  I felt kinda "stuck".  As soon as I looked into SLP at a friend's suggestion, I became unstuck and nothing was going to stop me from becoming an SLP.   
   
I'm so happy that I didn't let that first undergrad gpa stop me from pursuing a post-bacc in communicative disorders and then applying to grad school.  I'm so glad that I don't let my age hold me back.  I am grateful for every twist and turn I have taken to get here.  I'm so thankful to be in grad school and to be working on this next step towards becoming an SLP.  It's been a long crazy journey to discovering my passion for speech-language pathology and I'm indebted to that friend who once said "why not speech therapy?".  

3 comments:

  1. This was inspiring. It also sounds like me almost eight years ago. I'm glad things are going great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive spend the day in my pjs, crying about not getting into grad school for SLP. The pity party ends now. Thanks to your post. Good luck in grad school. I'll be there one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get in this year and I'm happy to hear that you are not giving up! About 1/4 of my cohort are 2nd year appliers. Have you looked into schools with Spring admissions?

    ReplyDelete