Friday, May 24, 2013

Social Media and SLP

If you aren't a part of the #slpeeps community on Twitter, following SLP related boards on pinterest, or one of the many SLP facebook groups, it's definitely something you should consider participating in. These social media tools connect you with SLPs  and SLP students all over the country as well as all over the world.

Here is a blog hop I found that sums up all of the benefits of joining this vast online community of SLPeeps: Blog Hop: Essential Social Media Tools for SLPs and you can "hop" to other posts about the different social media platforms that SLPs can use. I'm starting you off with Twitter, which is a personal favorite. Facebook
groups are not really touched upon much in this series of blog posts other than SLPeeps and SLP fan/community pages such as PediaStaff Inc., but here are some of the really useful groups that I belong to:

Dysphagia Therapy
Adult Rehab Speech Therapy
Future SLPs
Speech Pathologists at Large 
IMAGAS (Insight, Mentoring, And Guidance for Aspiring SLPs)

and some of the SLP fan/community pages I like:

Dysphagia Cafe
Tactus Therapy Solutions
MedSLP
The SLP Student
Avocado Technologies

Neither of the above lists are exhaustive. I've used both facebook groups and twitter often to ask questions, get feedback, and make comments and the interaction has been great!

Another online community tool that I have just joined is the Speech and Language Therapy group on Google+. I haven't explored it much yet, but it looks like it will also be a great resource. And of course there are many, many SLP blogs from SLP students and SLPs in school settings as well as medical settings. You can see many of the blogs I follow on my homepage.

What I really love most about using social media is that as a student, I can connect with other SLP students as well as current SLPs from all over the world on a daily basis. I'm excited to be a part of this dynamic community and proud to be an #SLP2B.


8 comments:

  1. It's fun to "know" people without really knowing them. Both professionally and personally. Thank you social media. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this post and special thanks for the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! I would love to collaborate with you. I just sent you a message via twitter... but my email is heidi at pediastaff dot com. Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome! Will connect with you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Better late than never. Thanks for the Dysphagia Cafe Shout Out!

    ReplyDelete