Wednesday, January 23, 2013

SLP and the Great Aphasia Search

I'm taking aphasia this semester and it has captured my attention completely. One of our class assignments is to complete an observation of either a treatment session (individual or group) or attend a meeting of an aphasia support group. I love that we have to do this and have begun the process of tracking down SLPs in my general vicinity who work with clients who have aphasia. A great resource I'm starting off with is Find a Professional with ASHA's ProSearch. I've already sent off about 6 emails today and I've heard back from 4 SLPs, though no sites secured as of yet... just one possibility (no patients with aphasia on her caseload atm but keeping my contact info and will let me know if that changes) and a lead from an SLP to a site that she observed at when she took this class (Emich alum!). I still have a bit of time and I can expand my search area, but I'm off to a good start!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that link - I've just submitted my applications for a SLP master's program & have been looking for people to shadow (it gets complicated, as I work full-time). I'll definitely be using this!

    And yes - even though I'm brand new to a lot of this, I've been reading everything I can find about aphasia & find it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up taking one day a week off of work to shadow because I worked full time as well. It's tricky because most SLPs work during the day. Another useful tool is facebook. When I was looking for SLPs to shadow, I posted on my facebook that I was looking and was surprised at the connections to SLPs that I didn't know I had! Good luck on finding sites and good luck on getting into grad school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm new around here...came over from SLPEcho. One of my clinic assignments (I'm a first year) this semester is working with adults in a support group. I'm finding that although I live in a metropolitan city, support groups are still in their infancy and not very common at all. But they are very necessary! Many aphasics tend to isolate themselves and are sometimes shunned by their own families! I like the group because it's focus is functional communication, so it's a more relaxed setting than the therapy room and since it's still a small group we get to know our clients and their needs/interests very personally.
    I'm looking forward to seeing all the progress we make this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting! I'm not in clinic yet and probably won't get an adult client until clinic II. I'm really looking forward to working with adults since I have very little experience with that group and so far I really like aphasia. I'm still working on pinning down an observation site for aphasia... I can't wait to see what I am learning 1st hand! I am excited to see all of the progress we will make this semester. We will be one step closer to competency and our goal of becoming SLPs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For your studies you might try my case of aphasia
    http://redoable.wordpress.com/about
    The real story.

    http://redoable.wordpress.com/tag/mrs-doubtfire/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting your blog!

    ReplyDelete