Saturday, February 9, 2013

Full Speed Ahead!!

February has been BUSY so far and it doesn't look like it will slow down for a long while yet. Just had my first exam in aphasia and though it was a bit challenging, I think (I hope!!) I rocked it. Will find out for sure on Tuesday. This is definitely my favorite class this semester and I'm learning a lot. I'll have another exam in aphasia at the end of this month... only 2 weeks of lecture on that one!  

Next up is my clinical readiness test (CRT) on Monday, which is a test I need to pass with an 85% or above in order to take clinic this summer. It's offered twice, so if I don't pass it the first time I have a chance to re-take it again next month. Here's to hoping I pass it the first time! I've been studying for it over the past couple of days and have been neglecting studying for my 1st audiometrics exam which is the day after I take the CRT. I will be power cramming for that exam after I take the CRT... can I do it?! I can dooo it! Also this month in audiometrics, I will get to bring in J and practice a hearing screening on him as well as immitance
testing and an otoscopic exam. He will be my first hearing screen "victim"!   

Also working on my first diagnostic over the next couple of weeks. I'm in a group of two other students and we have to come up with a diagnostic plan and carry it out under the supervision of a faculty member. I'm really excited about this as well as nervous. This will be my first real hands-on experience! We have to come up with a diagnostic plan by this Weds., meet with our faculty supervisor on Friday to go over our plan, and will be assessing our client on the 22nd of this month. It will be interesting to see how it will all go especially since there will be three of us participating in addition to the client.  

I'm still working on setting up observations for both my aphasia class and my diagnostics class, though I think I have a location set for aphasia at U of M... I just have to confirm it at the end of the month. I'm planning on setting up my observations for my spring break because between work and school, spring break will be the only time I will have to schedule things! May try to squeeze in some shadowing one day over spring break at the Ann Arbor VA if the SLP is willing to let me. Gotta schedule the observations for my classes first before scheduling a shadow time. 

I'm hoping that by the time I come back from spring break that I can start volunteering with the SLP at the Autism Collaborative Center on campus. I turned in my paperwork last week, but since they just hired the SLP, she will need some time to "settle in" before taking on a volunteer. Maybe things will be a bit more settled down for me as well. Either way, I am looking forward to volunteering and learning while doing so. 

So yeah, pretty busy at the moment and not looking like it will slow down much until... I don't know when! Until then, full speed ahead. :)   

2 comments:

  1. You sound busy! Good luck with your diagnostic! Child or adult?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Child. It was great to finally to get used to the clinic a little bit. We completed most of it and had to schedule another date to finish the rest of our assessments. Thanks for the luck!

    ReplyDelete